Marsh Creek Farmstead: Wildcrafted elderberry syrup

Wildcrafted elderberry syrup

Several years ago I discovered a wild elderberry bush that had started growing on the edge of the farmstead. I mowed around it and let it grow. It has grown very large and had a lot of berries on it this spring so I decided to harvest them and make elderberry syrup. 

The harvested elderberry prior to cleaning

The cleaned berries

I located a recipe that was pretty simple.  Put a few cups of berries into a few quarts of water bring to a boil and mash up the berries. Then just add cinnamon and ginger and simmer till it reduces to a third of the volume. After it cools then add the honey and stir to dissolve.

Mashed up berries and spices in the pot



Elderberries contain high levels of A, B, and C and stimulate the immune system.  So during cold and flu season it is handy to have a quart in the fridge to take daily to help build your immune system. I ended up with about 3 quarts of elderberry syrup. I put one quart in the refrigerator and the rest i froze into cubes and put them in gallon zip bags and put them in the deep freezer. I can just thaw a serving sized ice cube when i want to drink some.